Influenza viruses irritate the upper respiratory tract, causing a dry or unproductive cough, which only irritates your throat and ends up causing coughing spells.
With this symptom you can make small changes in your sleeping routine and rely on medicinal plants to overcome the discomfort of the throat faster.
- Avoid placing the heating high during the day or night, with it you will only make the environment dry.
- If you need to maintain a good level of humidity, it is better to opt for a humidifier inside the room where you sleep. If you don't have one, you can use a pot of boiling water.
- Remember to drink plenty of fluids, keeping your throat hydrated is essential.
- You should also avoid caffeine because it dries the throat even more (these days forget the coffee, tea and colas).
Inhale thyme but don't take it at night because it's stimulating.
- Pour boiling water into a deep dish and add 5 drops of thyme or eucalyptus essential oil.
- Bring your face closer to the dish and cover your head with a towel.
- Breathe the steam deeply for a few minutes.
- You can also take the thyme in decoction (boil a tablespoon of plant per glass of water for 5 minutes and let stand 10).
- Another ideal plant for a dry cough is ginger root in decoction (make it with ½ cm of root per glass of water).
- The stretched posture favors coughing, so it usually intensifies at night while you sleep.
- To avoid it, place one or two cushions on the pillow, so you can rest a little bit incorporated.
- Arrange an onion cut in half or grated on a plate on the bedside table.
- Breathing in the effluent helps calm the cough.
- Gargle with hot water, lemon and honey. Its soothing and anti-inflammatory action calms the sore throat.
- Despite popular belief, it is preferable to use water instead of milk with honey, as dairy can increase mucus.
The broth relieves pain and allows you to eat effortlessly.
- Have some bird broth. It should have chicken, onion, potato, carrot, turnip, parsley, salt and pepper and boil for one hour. A study by the University of Nebraska (USA) has shown its effectiveness. Bird broth blocks the action of neutrophils, cells of the immune system that favor inflammation.
- If your cough causes a sore throat, don't drink cold drinks and keep warm by covering your mouth on the coldest days (cold air, when entering through the oral cavity, irritates sensitive throats).
- Infusions of sage or thyme can also help.
SEE ALSO: The 6 Health Benefits To Your Body After Eating Ginger Everyday For a Month
When you have the flu, the headache can become very severe. This is mainly due to the congestion in the entire skull area.
Impregnate a tissue with a few drops of lavender essential oil and inhale throughout the day avoiding the eyes. In addition to the antiseptic effect it has on the mucous membranes, its sedative action calms pain.
Friction on the temples. Dilute 3 drops of mint essential oil in a tablespoon of almond oil and massage the temples and forehead with the mixture. Mint stimulates blood flow and fights headache.
Distribute oil diffusers around the house (lavender, mint...). If you stay close to the diffuser, you will breathe the essence and calm the pain.
REDUCES INTENSE MUSCLE PAIN
In your fight against viruses, your defenses release inflammatory molecules (prostaglandins). That's why you notice that your whole body hurts.
- Willow bark is rich in acetylsalicylic acid, so it helps reduce the pain of the flu. It's not good if you're allergic to aspirin.
- Harpagophytum, also called grapple plant, wood spider and most commonly devil's claw (its root) also reduces joint and muscle pain.
- Ginger is of great help for its anti-inflammatory virtues. You can take the three plants in boiling decoction by 1 tablespoon of plant per cup of water 5 minutes.
THE RISK OF SELF-MEDICATING
These are the drugs most commonly used to alleviate flu symptoms, but they have their risks. Do not take medications without medical control.
- Ibuprofen: Taking more than 1,200 mg daily (3 tablets of 400 mg) can damage the health of organs such as the heart or stomach.
- Anti-flu drugs: These are mixtures of active ingredients. The problem is that you suffer some adverse reaction to any of them because it is difficult to find out the cause.
- Cough syrups: They are usually formulated with morphine derivatives (minor opioids), such as codeine. It is not necessary to abuse, since they can cause addiction.
- Antibiotics: They are useless if the disorder is viral and not bacterial. And taking them when you "don't touch" creates resistance: when you need them, they won't work.
- Paracetamol: You should never take more than 4 g of acetaminophen in 24 hours. It is rare, but it can cause allergy. Avoid it if your liver is delicate.
- Drugs to suck: These are to relieve swelling of the throat. Some have an anesthetic effect, so they shouldn't be taken as candy.