The pomegranate, for its multiple properties, has earned the nickname of functional food. Scientists have discovered that this is one of the fruits that has more antioxidants and can help prevent prostate cancer, hypertension and, in general, inflammatory processes.
Now they are even investigating its possible antiviral and neuroprotective functions. It could be said that each small grain of this fruit acts in your organism as if it were an authentic health pill.
Here are eight good reasons to eat pomegranate:
1/9 Take care of your arteries and your heart
The flavonoid richness of this fruit is a rejuvenating cure for the arteries, as it has been shown to be effective against arteriosclerosis.
- In addition, pomegranate juice is very effective in lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and fat accumulations in the artery walls.
- It is also rich in potassium and therefore helps to reduce blood pressure.
2/9 Prevention against breast cancer
Pomegranate is rich in phytonutrients that could inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
- In addition, trials have shown that the ellagic acid in pomegranates inhibits aromatase, an enzyme that converts androgens into estrogens, which is fundamental in the development of breast tumors.
3/9 Effective in preventing osteoarthritis
Its high antioxidant content makes the pomegranate a powerful ally in fighting the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
- It is due to the ability of these polyphenols to control oxidative cell stress and inflammation.
- It is also rich in vitamin C and folic acid so it helps keep the immune system in full shape.
4/9 Relief for tummy problems
The pomegranate contains good doses of tannins, substances with astringent and anti-inflammatory properties that favor the relief of diarrhea and intestinal colics.
- This substance is present above all in the whitish membranes that separate the grains.
5/9 Has aphrodisiac properties
Also in the membrane that separates the grains there is a substance to which aphrodisiac properties have been attributed and some studies have linked it to a 30% increase in testosterone after continued consumption.
- You can prepare it in juice, cutting the pomegranate in half and squeezing it like an orange.
6/9 Pomegranate has few calories
It is one of the fruits that contains less sugar and therefore is especially low in calories (provides only 32 kcal per 100 g of fruit) so it is highly recommended if you are following a slimming diet.
- In addition, it is very versatile: you can add it to your green salads, couscous, gives a refreshing touch to hummus if you add a few grains ...
7/9 Is diuretic and detoxifying
Actually, much of its content is water. For this reason, it possesses many diuretic properties (it helps to eliminate urine and with it the elimination of toxic substances from the organism) that make it an ideal food, especially for those people who retain liquids or who are following a slimming plan.
- Do not hesitate to take it as a snack at mid-morning or afternoon snack. It is an excellent option.
8/9 Helps you during menopause
Pomegranate skin extract contains genistein isoflavone, the same natural phytoestrogen provided by soybeans. It acts similarly to female oestrogens.
- Therefore, it is effective in counteracting the effects of the hormonal decline typical of this period and thus counteract the tendency to accumulate fat.
9/9 Different ways to enjoy pomegranate
Due to its rich sweet and sour taste, pomegranates are very versatile in the kitchen. Find out what you can do with it:
- Drink its juice. Grenadine is the juice extracted from its seeds. It is used in sorbets and soft drinks.
- In your fruit salad. A few grains will give it color and a bittersweet touch.
- Prepare a sauce. The popular "muhammara" in the Middle East is made with pomegranate, bell pepper and walnuts.
- Puree. Called "pomegranate syrup," it's ideal for watering ice cream.
- Dry your grains. In India the dried grains of this fruit are used as seasoning for spicy meats.
- To decorate. Give a colorful touch to salads with its grains, sprinkle on cakes, yogurts...